Monday, October 4, 2010

Archeological Dig

Ever since I was a little girl, I thought it would be fun to go on an archeological dig. Sun on my shoulders, pick and brush in my hand. Not necessarily for bones of prehistoric animals, but for household items from past societies.

It seems that I have been doing this very thing without even realizing it. My favorite past time is going to thrift stores and looking for hidden treasures. One of my favorite places to search is the local Goodwill Outlet Store. Locally it is known as "The Big Dig". This is due to the fact that you must "dig" through bins of stuff to get to the treasures.


One of the best finds I made at "The Big Dig" was about 50 vintage sewing patterns just sitting in the bin waiting for me. I love looking at clothing styles from the 70's, 60's, 50's, and beyond. How did the lifestyles of these decades influence Fashion? Color? Hair? Make-up?


Then there are the little notes written on the envelope or directions sheet. Did Grandmom sew for Grandaughter? or Did the seamstress make the clothing for herself?

One day I still would like to go on an actual archeological dig, but for now thrifting keeps me happy.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I love these vintage patterns...my mom gave me all hers from the 70's and 80's. Can't believe all that's coming back around. I'm a clothing designer who just recently started blogging about my designs that I wear and the clothes I rework. Added your store to my favorites!
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina, Thanks for the adding my store to your favorites. I just looked at your site. I love that you repurpose old clothing into new pieces! I actually like to turn old skirts into reusable shopping totes. Here is a link from a previous post... http://koolbeanz65.blogspot.com/2010/01/repurposed-skirt-becomes-reusable-tote.html

    ReplyDelete