Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Repurposed Skirt Becomes a Reusable Tote

About two or three years ago I found a very cute skirt at the Goodwill Clearance Center. (I really love that place) At the time I thought I could maybe sew some pretty beads to it then sell it in my Etsy Shop. It ended up sitting in a drawer in my sewing table ever since.

December 2009. I wanted to make a few reusable tote bags for my mom for Christmas. I started looking through my stash of fabric when I found that skirt I had purchased years earlier. As I held the skirt up, the wheels started turning. Why start from scratch?! That little A line skirt could easily be made into a bag. So I started cutting, rearranging the pieces, and sewing. The final product was the cutest bag I think I ever saw!

That was it! The next day I went back to the Goodwill for more skirts. I found a few that I liked. Took them home and started cutting, rearranging the pieces, and sewing.

Here is one of the skirts:

Before


After

2 comments:

  1. I love what you're doing to recycle some items that otherwise might land in our landfills! Way to go green!!!!! I'm about to post a link to your blog on my facebook fan page so others can see what a great project you are doing!

    ReplyDelete